Originally published in the June 2026 issue of Greet Del Ray
Lucy Gary in her living room circa 1900.
Del Ray has lost many of its historic homes in recent years, but one of the oldest remaining in the community as of mid-2026 is at 210 East Howell Avenue.
William Thomas Gary settled in Washington, D.C. after the Civil War and became successful as a printer in the newspaper business. When Del Ray was first opened for sales in 1894, Gary decided to retire to the new suburb at 63 years old and purchased the house at 210 East Howell Avenue. He moved there with his wife Lucy and at least six of their children. The Gary family became an influential fixture in Del Ray, owning multiple properties and loaning money to neighbors to buy houses. Being a close knit family, his son-in-law Alexander Slaughter Doniphan purchased two lots across the street at the corner of Howell and Mount Vernon Avenues in August 1894 (see the April 2025 issue of Greet Del Ray).
Gary passed away in 1900, and his wife Lucy lived there until her death in 1916. In 1921, John and Gertrude Rosson from Culpepper purchased the house. He worked at Potomac Yard with his son Alvin as an oiler on the railroad. Rossen rented part of the house out to Addie Treackle and her adult daughters to make ends meet. Addie’s daughter Mary taught at the local school with Rossen’s daughter Ethelda. Rossen lived there until his death in 1941, after Gertrude moved in with her son Alvin who lived on Windsor Avenue.
After John Rosson’s death, the house was turned into a rental property. By 1950, it had been broken up into 5 apartments. It has remained an apartment building ever since. In 1985, it was sold to Randall Herbst for $100,000. A little over three years later, he sold it to Harvest Enterprises for more than twice what he paid for it. The building changed ownership again in 2022 at a cost of over $1 million. It remains the oldest remaining building in Del Ray.
